Check out this planning checklist to create your unique funeral arrangements, but remember that you don't need to make all these decisions right now. If you are planning a memorial service prior to a cremation, please reference the information below as a starting point for your plans.
- Your father’s name
- Your mother’s maiden name
- Your social security number
- Your level of education
- Fraternal organizations
- Union memberships
- Service organizations
- Any special recognitions
Military Service Information
- Name(s) of war/conflict(s) toured
- Serial number
- Military service
- Branch rank
- Date of enlistment
- Date of discharge
- Select a funeral home.
- Note any specific instructions for your services and final disposition.
- Organize personal information for your obituary.
- If you wish, choose a charity for any donations.
The Funeral Service
- Select burial or cremation.
- Choose a casket or cremation container.
- Pick funeral locations and service types.
- Make a note of any desired traditions or religious rituals.
- Select the attire you want to be dressed in.
- Arrange transportation for your physical remains and family members.
- Select an overall theme for funeral stationery and any décor.
- Choose floral arrangements.
- Choose any specific hymns and songs you’d like included.
- Pick photos and mementos for a memorial display.
- Designate pallbearers.
- Select a clergy member or officiator for the service.
- Pick friends or family members to say the eulogy, read scripture, do a speech, or other readings.
- If you wish, choose any musicians.
- Choose a cemetery.
- Select a burial plot or mausoleum.
- Select a memorial or grave marker and inscription.
- Decide who will keep your urn.
- Decide who will scatter your ashes and where.